Avalanche Education Yurt, Hut, or Lodge and Town based
Wing Ridge Ski Tours offers Level I and II avalanche courses designed for "the earn your turn" skier/rider. Enrollment is limited to 10 students for huts, unlimited for town. The courses are 4 days in length with 1 full day in a classroom and 3 days of fieldwork. The last day is split between leftover topics and free skiing!
Students stay in backcountry yurts or town and work together in small groups during the field sessions, 5 students to 1 instructor. Course emphasis is on risk management and group dynamics in addition to the traditional focus on terrain, weather, and snowpack.
American Avalanche Association progession/curriculum
Course instructors have many years experience in mountain guiding and backcountry snow assessment. You earn a certificate and have ample opportunity to learn and ask questions in a small group setting.
Yurt/Hut/Lodge based courses include all meals, lodging, bedding, and course materials. Town based courses meet at a trailhead for field days returning to town each evening. You provide your own skis (or splitboard), boots, and poles, rescue gear (which can be rented). Please refer to wingski.com gearlist and check in with us about equipment/gear needs.
LEVEL I Joseph-based ski/board: January 11-13, 2013. One day lecture in-town. Two field days will be day trips returning to town each evening. All ages of winter users encouraged: beginner through expert, skiers, snowboarders, cross-country skiers, snowshoers, even snowmobilers. We have field instructors well versed in all disciplines. $300/person. Scholarships available for locals. Click to download a PDF Course Overview or to open a new window with the course overview.
LEVEL I Lodge-based snowmobile: TBA 3-nights/3-days. Cornucopia Lodge provides all meals/lodging including night before course date. Day one morning is a classroom session. Day 1 afternoon, day 2, and day 3 are in the field. See Snowmobile specific curriculum: Course guidelines.
IARE Level II: Jan 3-6, 2012 Joseph, OR Town-based course $500:
Click to download a PDF Course Overview or to open a new window with the course overview.
- This course is for aspiring backcountry tour group leaders, advanced recreationists, and current or aspiring snow professionals.
- Four day, 32 hour course. ****Prerequisite: Current Level 1 training and several years of backcountry experience required.
- AIARE based curriculum and meets AAA guidelines.
- The goal of this course is to give advanced recreationists, operations-based professionals, and current or aspiring guides a deepened understanding of avalanche and snowpack processes, and develop the skill-set necessary to become proficient practitioners, observers, and backcountry leaders.
- One classroom lecture day. Three field days. 4:1 student to certified instructor ratio.
Avalanche skills refresher module: Add this to your hut trip or coordinate with us for day trips. If you haven't taken a course in the last five years, you're overdue. Lots of new emerging concepts and theory you need to know about in addition to traditional avalanche science: ANTI-CRACK slab propagation, HEURISTIC TRAP decision making, and COMPANION RESCUE technology. Brush up on those skills! Add $50.00/person to guide fees. Email email@example.com for more information.